18th – 22th June
- Mutual determination to further strengthen the partnership (Détermination mutuelle à renforcer davantage les relations de partenariat) – Le Matin – 19/06/2012
The “Forum d’investissement et de coopération entrepreneuriale Espagne-Maroc” is another step in strengthening relations between Morocco and Spain: it has as main objective to promote the development of investment projects and cooperation between the two countries through the identification of partners and extensive knowledge of the market.
- Syrian pilot defects after landing in Jordan – Al Jazeera – 21/06/2012
A Syrian pilot received political asylum after landing his MiG fighter jet to Jordan. The Syrian Ministry of Defense said that the pilot is a “traitor” and that the Syrian authorities are in contact with the Jordanian government to recover the aircraft.
- “There has been a real frustration about inaction of Obama” (« Il y a eu une réelle frustration autour de l’inaction d’Obama ») – Le Monde – 21/06/2012
A study by the Pew Research Center published in June, the popularity of Barack Obama dropped by 9 points in the Muslim countries between 2009 and 2012 from 33% to 24% approval rating. In these countries, only 15% of those polled now approving international actions carried out by Barack Obama.
- Crown Prince Nayef bin Abdul-Aziz Al Saud obituary – The Guardian – 21/06/2012
Nayef bin Abdul-Aziz Al Saud became the prince heir to the throne of Saudi Arabia in October 2011, after the death of his brother Sultan. He had been Interior minister since 1975 and has successfully protected the kingdom from danger the “Arab Spring” and activists of the Muslim Brotherhood.
- Clinton demande à Mofaz de reprendre les pourparlers avec l’Autorité Palestinienne (Clinton asks Mofaz to renew PA talks) – Haaretz – 22/06/2012
U.S. Secretary of State, Hillary Rodham Clinton, has intensified contacts with Israeli and Palestinian officials during the last week to persuade them to return to the negotiating table, starting with a high-level meeting between the Deputy Israeli Prime Minister Shaul Mofaz and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.