The MEDEA Institute is an European research center whose primary purpose is to build relationships of trust, cooperation and mutual understanding between EU countries and their Mediterranean and Arabic neighbours.
Its work conists in developing a network of continuous dialogue between politicians, economists and academics, and in making available to the general public, information relating to relations that Europe has with its southern neighbours.
In practice, four types of activities are the specificity of the Institute’s work.
The first concerns the organization of different types of events such as:
- conferences to inform the general public on Mediterranean and Euro-Arab relations and on the news in Arab and Muslim countries;
- symposia and workshops that can be achieved in relatively small get-together and are intended to deepen a specific problem;
- informal meetings between different actors of the Mediterranean and Euro-Arab relations (officials, diplomats, businessmen, etc..) organized in order to increase the regularity of contacts and reduce the risk of misunderstandings and mutual incomprehension.
The second type of activities consists in providing information to the general public via the website of the Institute – including 1800 pages – and by writing articles published in periodicals outside the Institute.
The third type of activities lies in the consultancy service proposed in various forms:
- Interviews given to the media;
- Research and analyses conducted at the request of one third;
- Setting contact with different actors of the Mediterranean and Euro-Arab relations ;
- Put MEDEA’s network of contacts at disposal to find experts and speakers.
- Management of the Secretary of the Mediterranean Citizens’ Assembly: www.acimedit.net.
Activities as a member of the Anna Lindh Foundation
As a member of the ALF we have conceived a project in the framework of the Common Actions of the Anna Lindh Foundation. This program aims to create new synergies and common strategies between the active members of the Belgian network. This project offers the opportunity to meet participants with similar interests and consequently enlarging your nhetwork. Moreover we want to give all participating members the chance to collaborate within a common project. In a concrete way of speaking we want to create and put into practice a common project around the following themes: intercultural dialogue , youth, employment, (will be defined during our upcoming meetings), in accordance with the ALS goals. Our next meeting will be on November 29 from 9-13 o’clock at MEDEA, Square de Meeûs 24, 1000 Brussel. We kindly invite you to this meeting. For more information: m.goetinck(at)medea.be; 02 231 13 00 or 0494 25 12 87.
Weldra zal de MEDEA website ook in het Nederlands beschikbaar zijn. Indien u meer wilt lezen over onze Common Action in het Nederlands, gelieve dan dit document te openen.
Beschrijving Common Action van het Belgisch netwerk van de ALS